9 Ways AI Is Reforming The Education System
By Selina Johnson
The AI market in the US education sector is expected to grow at an annual rate of 47.5% during the period 2017-2021. So, let’s check out the top 9 ways AI is already reshaping the education system for the better.
1. Automatic grading
Educational institutes are now using AI technology to grade multiple papers automatically.
• Reduces administrative pressure for teachers
• Gives them time to focus on more productive tasks
• Grades multiple college assignments accurately within seconds
• Eliminates the risk of biased grading
2. Personalised learning
AI-based education offers personalised learning based on every student’s needs.
• Increases engagement for students
• Motivates them to choose a specific learning path
• Makes it easier for teachers to assess each student
• Streamlines differentiated learning
3. Smart contents
AI breaks down traditional textbook contents into a more understandable ‘smart content’ that includes flashcards, multiple-choice practise sets and chapter summaries.
• Highlights only the most important bits of the books
• Creates chapter-specific summaries
• Accessible on different platforms
• Customises learning interfaces and digital learning guides
4. Online education
As per a recent study, over six million American students are currently enrolled in online education.
• Makes high quality education more accessible in rural areas
• Lowers student debts and education costs
• Introduces a diverse choice of course topics
• Offers flexible schedule and environment
5. New efficiencies
AI improves IT processes and creates a more efficient education system all over the world.
• Enables the operations department to create data-driven forecasts
• Identifies gaps and loopholes in the learning process
• Informs the students how their career paths look like
• Provides instant feedback to clear up concepts for students
6. Mental well-being
AI has the potential to detect a child’s emotional state through mouse actions and keyboard strokes.
• Provides the right intervention required for each student
• Offers personalised educational support
• Enhances the student’s interests towards a learning goal
• Improves each student’s ability to learn
7. Automatic learning record
AI introduces an ‘automatic learning record’ that lists all your work histories, achievements, internship details for better career opportunities.
• Provides an in-depth and detailed academic record
• Makes the academic transcripts accessible on different platforms
• Proves your worth for higher education courses
• Remains in the learner’s control
8. Universal access for all students
The AI-based tool can make global classrooms available to all students who speak different languages or have visual or hearing impairments.
• Creates sub-titles in real time for what the teacher is saying
• Opens up possibilities for students who aren’t able to attend schools
• Provides access to specific subjects that aren’t available in most schools
• Makes it easier for teachers to instruct a diverse group of learners
9. Utilitarian approach
AI uses a utilitarian approach to analyse the most prevalent trends among students.
• Directs the students towards a career goal based on their interests
• Helps students with instant feedback
• Makes challenging concepts clearer for students
• Alerts the teachers if any student has consistent poor academic performance